Job Announcement: Office of Campaign and Political Finance
Position: Legal Counsel
The Office of Campaign and Political Finance (OCPF) is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as Legal Counsel. The office is charged with the administration of the Massachusetts Campaign Finance Law (M.G.L. Ch. 55) and assists in maintaining the integrity of the Commonwealth's electoral system by ensuring accurate and complete disclosure of campaign finance activity by those involved in the electoral process.
Legal Counsel will assume an existing caseload of investigations as well as new assignments that includes initial review and screening of allegations, document gathering and review, interviewing witnesses, and recommending resolutions; conducting legal research; writing factual analyses, legal memoranda, correspondence, position statements, public resolution letters, disposition agreements, Attorney General referral recommendations, proposed formal and informal advisory opinions; presenting legal advice and policy recommendations; communicating with, providing guidance to and assisting candidates, committees, public officials and the general public in understanding the campaign finance law and regulations by telephone, email, mail and in person; assisting in drafting proposed legislation and agency regulations, guidelines and policy; providing legal advice to staff; perform other duties as required by the Director and General Counsel.
- JD degree and member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar.
- At least 3 to 5 years of full-time or equivalent part-time related professional experience.
- Ability to understand and apply statutes and regulations governing campaign finance.
- Ability to use computer to conduct research, manage databases, and produce written documents.
- Ability to lead or work with cross-functional teams and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) to assist candidates, committees, public officials and the general public in understanding the campaign finance law.
- Ability to work within a team environment, as well as independently, and with a wide variety of stakeholders. Willingness to work in a collaborative setting to achieve department objectives and provide regulatory guidance.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy; strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to interpret and respond to questions in accordance with laws, regulations, and policies; ability to proactively set priorities and multi-task without compromising attention to detail; ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment; ability to preserve confidential information required.
- Advanced knowledge in MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Ability to learn new software systems.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an excellent state employee benefits package. Starting salary will range from $65,000 to $75,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled, however, first consideration will be given to those applicants who submit a letter of interest and resume by March 14, 2022.
The Office of Campaign and Political Finance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applicants from a broad spectrum of backgrounds to apply for the position.
Official Title: Legal Counsel
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston- 1 Ashburton Place
Job: Legal Services
Agency: Office of Campaign and Political Finance
Job Posting: Feb. 28, 2022
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: $65,000.00 to $75,000.00
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Opportunity questions or need a reasonable accommodation, please contact Diversity/ADA Coordinator Margaret Muise – (617) 979-8300